Clothes Horse

There is nothing quite like wearing a good tailored suit. The cut simply falls correctly on the body, and the figure you cut, with a neatly tied tie and a pressed shirt, makes you think you can take on the world. A set of shiny dress shoes and some socks that speak to my personality, and I feel like a man about town, a captain of industry, a go-getter ready to take on the world. I can dream in a suit.

That style of dress is out of place on the farm. On the farm, I like my Romeo boots with no laces that just slip on. A pair of old jeans, a flannel shirt if it's cold, a t-shirt if it's warm. A ball cap to keep the sun from my eyes. It's relaxed, it allows for work, and it makes me feel, well, like a man of the land. Someone who works hard to accomplish their goals. It grounds me.

Even more removed is the vestments of the priest. Designed at the height of the Roman empire, the alb, stole, chausible, and cincture put me in a sacred role, a role that is outside of my every day world of suits and jeans. It sets me apart, clothes me for the work of God. In the vestments of the priest, I'm no longer myself, I am the office that I hold, and I embody the work of God in the world. It is intimate with the divine, yet set apart from the world.

At the end of the day, it's still me in these clothes. I find the different outfits bring out different parts of me, though. They emphasize the role that I'm in when I ware them.

[Writing Prompt: The clothes that (may) make the (wo)man
How important are clothes to you? Describe your style, if
you have one, and tell us how appearance impacts how you
feel about yourself.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 25

100 books to read

The Masonic Egregore