Why we write

As used to be the case, I was talking with someone and it sparked a blog post.

My friend is worried about the volume of criticism he receives for his writing, and I tried to encourage him a bit with scripture about pearls and swine, and milk for babies, meat for adults. He replied with
I honestly think that is being too generous. It implies I have pearls and meat to give. I really don't think I do anymore.
And I realized the last time I'd tried to cast any pearls was April. And that was about poetry.

There's a blogger I've been reading since 2003. He posts at least once and usually multiple times a day. Every day. Holidays. Sundays. He posts about football, politics, economics, writing, online arguments, his kids, soccer.

The main point is he posts what's going on in his head, and he does not care what others think. He may not always (or ever) be right, but he's always there. Posting.

I don't post a lot of what goes on in my head. I do care what other people think.


I worry about how my words will be taken. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I do have an opinion. I worry that because I'm a white heterosexual male in America, my opinion will be vilified or not sufficiently whatever. I worry I'll be regarded as shallow, as too deep, as this as that as the other.

And yet here I'm encouraging my friend to put himself out there, and not doing so myself.

I see in myself Matthew 23. Especially the tomb, looking good on the outside, but dead on the inside.

I have never been the most consistent of bloggers. I doubt that will change, and I'm OK with that. I keep returning to it. I've been writing here since 2005, and this will be post 378. Out of a possible 4380 posts, that's 8.5%. So for the past 12 years, I've only written for a year, sometimes 2 posts a day, but often with long periods in between.

I find my best posts are sparked with dialogue. So please, contact me at eighthsermon@scottrassbach.net with any questions or topics you'd like me to write about, and I'll get things writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 25

100 books to read

The Masonic Egregore