Day 22: International No Diet Day

Apparently, May 6th is International No Diet Day. Given my health issues to date, I think it's a load of crock.

From Wikipedia:

International No Diet Day (INDD) is an annual celebration of body acceptance, including fat acceptance and body shape diversity. This day is also dedicated to promoting a healthy life style with a focus on health at any size and in raising awareness of the potential dangers of dieting and the unlikelihood of success
The unlikelihood of success. Just what I needed to hear right now.

Success is vitally (get it?) important to my life right now. I'm 42 years old, I'm overweight (40-80 lbs depending on which chart I look at), I have high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and the weight all rests around my middle, which studies say is a result of high cortisol levels (Stress). Does the weight cause the stress, or is the weight a result of stress? I'm sure there's a relationship there, and it may be becoming a self-reinforcing one.

These chronic diseases (HBPD, Diabetes, Obesity) will eventually wear out my body and kill me. If history is any guide, unless they're under control it won't be a long weight.

There's only two things I can control: My exercise, and my diet. And here we have INDD, which I'm sure is well meaning, but incredibly unhelpful as I'm trying to figure out how to combat these issues.

Two things I've found I'm doing wrong, right off the bat: 1) Always wash your hands before testing blood sugar, as residue on the hands can affect the readings. 2) Drink more water. With my cpap, I feel like I'm parched in the morning, so it's possible that I'm dehydrated when I'm taking my reading.

Also, with the move and various other items of stress, I've been slacking on watching my food intake, and on making sure I exercise. Now that the move is starting to resolve, I need to begin watching those areas of my life. International No Diet Day seems to be a great day to look at my diet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 25

100 books to read

The Masonic Egregore