The systems we live in

I am applying for a home loan.

I have never seen a more archonic system than that of applying for an FHA loan. 50+ pages of paperwork that repeats itself incessantly. Immense burden of debt. The irony of the 'Paperwork Reduction Act.'  It's hilarious and terrifying all at the same time.

So why am I doing it, you ask? I have a family, and our Landlord has decreed we must move out on June 15th. He is well within his rights to do so under the system we live in, so my family gets uprooted at the whim of the owner of the property.

So, I wish to become the owner of my own property, so my whims can be considered once in a while. Like, my whim to live in one place. My whim to make improvements, change colors, raise animals.

However, to actually own property, one must take part in the system which decrees there are owners and there is that which is owned. And that system is not built to make the process easy. The cost of land and houses where I live is ridiculous, ranging from $729,000 down to $201,000. Obviously, the more you spend, the more house you get. And I know some other places are much more ridiculous.

The system is slowly being stacked against the vast majority of people. There was a time when the elites realized that having a healthy middle class, who took part in property ownership and were able to take part in the process that built and maintained the system, was a good thing. The middle class took care of the poor, maintained the systems, and basically made everyone wealthier. Now, the rich have devolved into the super rich, while the middle class is devolving into the poor. As the gap widens, a system built on everyone doing their part is falling apart.

It won't last. It will crumble under a mass of paperwork no one reads and requirements no one can meet. As all systems do. Hopefully, we can work to replace it with something better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 25

100 books to read

The Masonic Egregore