Monday, February 23, 2015

The speed of change

I am not sure if it's like this for other people, but for me, things change very quickly.

It's always been that way. Back in college, I was dating a girl, we had a great birthday dinner. It was an amazing night: we had a fancy meal, we went to Guys and Dolls, her favorite musical, then had an amazing dessert and a walk around Madison.

Next day, she dumped me, because she realized she didn't love me or want to spend more time with me. Thirty days later I was living in New Orleans with a shaved head and no idea what I was doing. Thirty days after that, I ended up falling into my profession as a computer programmer. Six months later I was married.

All of that happened quite quickly, as far as I'm concerned.

So it is with a great deal of trepidation that I announce a new season of change is upon me. I'm not as nimble as I was back in college: Now I have a family, a business, and a household. But new changes are coming, and in the end they will be good. But living situations are changing, and the process of change is always traumatic.

A change in residence is a modest stressor. The assumption of a loan or mortgage is a moderately high stressor. Changes in working conditions, business conditions: moderate stressors.

All of which is to say, we're going to be moving soon, and hopefully buying a house. That's why this post is late, and tomorrow's might be late as well. I will endeavor to keep the habit moving, but I'm not sure exactly how esoteric things will be for now. I'm sure those topics will continue to arise.

No comments: