Fear

My girlfriend has a food blog. As part of her expanding into the weird, wide world of internet food writing, she's encountered a lot of people.

What I've been most surprised at is the number of people who are afraid of things relating to cooking.

"I'm afraid of cardamon (or cumin, or saffron). I don't know how to use it, I've never used it."

"I'm afraid of making my grandfather's recipe. What if I screw it up? What if I don't like it?"

What's with the fear? It is food. Granted, some food can be dangerous to people with allergies, but most people realize that. These are relatively healthy people, dealing with ingredients that are uncommon in the U.S., but common just about everywhere else.

And the fearing to make the grandfather's recipe boggles the mind. Why wouldn't you make it, and reconnect with your roots?

Sorry, A break in the 'Luck' series to question it a bit. Are there simple things you fear to do? Especially things you haven't tried?

Comments

Prenna said…
I have a pretty severe anxiety problem, that has seen a resurgence in the last 6 months, so pretty much everything I do has a certain amount of fear involved.

In terms of cooking, I'm just all round terrible. I can cook 2 minute noodles pretty well :)

Popular posts from this blog

February 25

100 books to read

The Masonic Egregore