Thursday, March 30, 2006

Intellectual Promiscuity

An answer to Pop Occulture:

I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven. What a heavy burden God has laid on men! I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

What is twisted cannot be straightened;
what is lacking cannot be counted.

I thought to myself, "Look, I have grown and increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge." 17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.

Ecc 1:13-18

And:

I saw that wisdom is better than folly,
just as light is better than darkness.

The wise man has eyes in his head,
while the fool walks in the darkness;
but I came to realize
that the same fate overtakes them both.

Then I thought in my heart,
"The fate of the fool will overtake me also.
What then do I gain by being wise?"
I said in my heart,
"This too is meaningless."

For the wise man, like the fool, will not be long remembered;
in days to come both will be forgotten.
Like the fool, the wise man too must die!

Ecc 2:13-16

And finally:

A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work.
Ecc 2:24

I realized I should clarify a bit.

There is no difference in end result in either course: intellectually promiscuous or intellectually monogamous, both end in the grave. How you occupy your time while here is up to you.

Personally, I'm interested in many things, but keep coming back to one. Hinduism, Buddhism, paganism, fundamentalism, Hermeticism, Freemasonry, all lend their understandings to my understanding of Christian Gnosticism. I come back to that touchstone again and again.

Find a touchstone. A home. You don't need to be rigid to compare the world to your baseline: sometimes the baseline will change, when the evidence is that . But it's good to have a touchstone.

"The stone which the builders rejected, has become the keystone of the structure." Go back, look at things you've examined and discarded. Perhaps, now that you have more material, they make more sense.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Thank you for this post also. I've often wondered if I'm just going in circles with my study of different belief systems - yet I find value in each - and often more than one common thread of truth shared between them.

I'm still searching for my 'home' or baseline - but I do believe I'm getting closer.

I've truly enjoyed reading your blog, thank you for the time and thought you put into it.